I decided in advance to share it with you, so I took some pictures as I went along. My thanks (and almost apology!) go out to my friend Carol, crafty & culinary extraordinaire, and her super-awesome blog for inspiring the format for this post. Her recipes (and her crafts) are really amazing, and when you have a moment, you really should check out the John and Carol Show. So here goes: the best salad dressing you'll ever make.
Here's what you'll need:
1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (double if you are serving a big salad for a crowd)
1/8 cup Lemon Juice (same as above)
1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar (can be modified to taste)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
First, measure your EVOO, lemon juice & vinegar into a small bowl to medium sized bowl. It needs to be big enough to accomodate your lettuce later on, so that you can toss it in the dressing. I like to use a bowl that has a pour spout on the side for easier (and less messy) serving. A large pyrex measuring jug would suffice if you don't have a bowl like mine.
| This is what it will look like...sort of like a science experiment with all the liquids separated. |
Next, add your dry ingredients.
Finally, stir it up with a fork. This amount of dressing is good for your lunch salad, with a little leftover, or perhaps your side salad for a dinner-for-two.
Important step: take a taste test! For a more tangy dressing, you can add a little more vinegar & salt. If you want it sweeter, add a splash more lemon juice.
I prefer to toss my lettuce directly into the dressing, and then scoop it out into a serving bowl. That way you don't end up with a bowlful of dressing at the bottom of your salad, which would be quite soggy by the time you are finished eating!
Speaking of soggy lettuce, if you don't have a lettuce keeper, I advise investing in one! Mine was about $15 at Bed Bath & Beyond. When you bring your salad bag home from the store, unload its contents into this puppy, open the vent, put the lid on, and your lettuce will keep up to 2 weeks.
As a bonus feature: here's my favorite salad for serving (and enjoying!) this dressing.
Baby Spinach and/or Romaine lettuce
Tomato & Basil feta cheese (Athenos is yummy but pricey. A store brand can work just fine, but the leftover will dry out faster)
Grape Tomatoes
Dill pickle relish (optional! I'm pregnant, so I love pickles on anything. But try it...it's delish!)
Sprinkle of Italian cheese blend or Mozzarella cheese
There you go! Yummy salad dressing that takes less than 5 minutes to make and is a great lunch-time treat!
It looks like a great dressing and salad! Nice job!
ReplyDelete