Breakfast has become something of a forced habit for me over the last several months, mainly because I’m growing a baby, and it’s not exactly fair to expect her to grow without food. I don’t mind eating something, but the thing is, if I’m going to find something protein-rich and nutritious, I know I’m going have to think about it. I may even have to cook something.
Problem: In the morning, I’m tired, cooking takes far too much effort, and I don’t want to think that hard before I’ve finished my coffee.
Solution: Take 45 mins at a reasonable time of day, and make something that will last all week.
To that end, I bring you one of my personal breakfast favorites. This is one of my own recipes, and I’m not sure why I haven’t made it at all during this pregnancy. Mornings could have been a lot less traumatic.
Please note that the pictures in this post reflect more than the actual measurements, because I’m making a double batch. My husband, also a non-breakfast-eater, eats these like candy, so in order to accomplish feeding MYSELF, I have to make extra.
Here’s what you’ll need (for a single batch)
Solution: Take 45 mins at a reasonable time of day, and make something that will last all week.
To that end, I bring you one of my personal breakfast favorites. This is one of my own recipes, and I’m not sure why I haven’t made it at all during this pregnancy. Mornings could have been a lot less traumatic.
Please note that the pictures in this post reflect more than the actual measurements, because I’m making a double batch. My husband, also a non-breakfast-eater, eats these like candy, so in order to accomplish feeding MYSELF, I have to make extra.
Here’s what you’ll need (for a single batch)
1 dozen eggs (9 whites, 3 whole)
¼ c. milk
1 c. baby spinach, chopped
Half of a green and red bell pepper, finely chopped.
Half of a small onion, finely chopped (not pictured – oops)
Crumbled sausage (or vegetarian sausage substitute), bacon, or diced ham.
½ c. Feta cheese (or more, if you’re addicts like we are!)
Dash each of sea salt, black pepper, chili powder & Italian seasonings.
¼ c. shredded cheese
Heat your oven to 350.
Deal with the eggs first, because this takes the longest. Strain 9 egg whites into a bowl. Then crack three whole eggs into the same bowl. Add the milk. Beat with a fork, whisk, or hand mixer until foamy (make bubbles!). Set aside.
¼ c. milk
1 c. baby spinach, chopped
Half of a green and red bell pepper, finely chopped.
Half of a small onion, finely chopped (not pictured – oops)
Crumbled sausage (or vegetarian sausage substitute), bacon, or diced ham.
½ c. Feta cheese (or more, if you’re addicts like we are!)
Dash each of sea salt, black pepper, chili powder & Italian seasonings.
¼ c. shredded cheese
Heat your oven to 350.
Deal with the eggs first, because this takes the longest. Strain 9 egg whites into a bowl. Then crack three whole eggs into the same bowl. Add the milk. Beat with a fork, whisk, or hand mixer until foamy (make bubbles!). Set aside.
{Note: This is where the nay-sayers will get you. They'll tell you eggs are really bad for you and you're going to have super bad cholesterol and your arteries will clog up and your heart will explode. None of this is accurate. Seriously, eggs get such a bad rap.}
At this point, I put my bacon on to fry because it also takes a bit. (I have finally learned the secret to cooking good, non-charcoaled bacon: DON’T heat the pan first!! Put it in a COLD pan & cook over low heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side or to desired crispiness.). Note: I grabbed a package of smoky maple bacon because it was on sale, instead of my usual lean or turkey bacon. It was AH-mazing. Go ahead, fry up the entire package. If you’re anything like me, there will be none left by the time you’re done cooking anyway.
{Bacon isn't THAT bad for you. It's protein, for Pete's sake!}
Heat another skillet for your veggies. Drizzle a bit of olive oil in the pan & warm it over med heat. Break out the cutting board & chop up your spinach, bell peppers & onion. Sauté over med-hi heat for 3 to 4 minutes until spinach is reduced.
Give your egg mixture another beating just to make sure it’s still foamy. Then add your sautéed veggies to the bowl. Finely chop 6 to 8 pieces of cooked bacon (it’s hot!!) and eat the rest. Add bacon to the bowl, along with feta cheese, salt, pepper, chili powder & Italian seasonings. (Just a dash of each, although I tend to be generous with the chili & Italian seasonings. YUM.)
Spray your muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. *MUY IMPORTANTE* Or else these suckers will make a MESS that you will eventually give up on and your husband will have to spend 20 minutes scrubbing baked egg out of the pan. (Thanks, Honey!)
Fill each muffin cup ¾ full. You will have *just* enough. The egg & milk tend to get a little excited and leave the good stuff in the bowl. Use a spoon to scoop the veggies & meat into the cups, and to transfer any of the egg & milk from over-flowing cups into the ones that didn’t get very much toward the end.
Fill each muffin cup ¾ full. You will have *just* enough. The egg & milk tend to get a little excited and leave the good stuff in the bowl. Use a spoon to scoop the veggies & meat into the cups, and to transfer any of the egg & milk from over-flowing cups into the ones that didn’t get very much toward the end.
Pop in the oven for 17-20 minutes. (I think they set better on a 20 minute baking time).
Remove pan from the oven. They’ll be very bubbly & puffy when you take them out. Immediately sprinkle with cheese & let them cool completely before removing them with a spoon (very carefully!). The quiches will shrink rapidly as they cool. TIP: If they don’t completely pull away from the edges of the muffin pan, then loosen the edges with the spoon before removing. They will still be a bit crumbly & fragile on the bottom, so be careful!
When cool, remove from the pan into an air-tight container for storing in the fridge.
This is a GREAT grab-n-go breakfast. You can eat them cold straight from the fridge (I do) or zap them for 20-30 seconds in the microwave before you head out the door. Yummy!



No comments:
Post a Comment